What's been going on in the Rosebank Garden this week
The crocus began to open - it seems we all like a little sun to cheer us up.
Over on my other blog A Woman of the Soil I have been talking about being frugal in the veg garden and have received many comments and tips on how other people save money when growing veg. I also practice what I preach in the Rosebank flower garden too.
A great way of filling the borders with plants without spending any money is to split the existing plants.
I know you are meant to wait till the plants have finished flowering but I wanted to take advantage of the fine weather at the beginning of the week to split the primulas that had become congested, and from just one clump I split it into four, each having a good root system and transplanted them elsewhere in the garden. I did this with several plants that needed thinning out, added some bonemeal to the planting hole and watered them in well.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
This year I won't be buying any more perennial plants - even though I seem to have lost several over the winter. Instead I will be filling out the borders growing anything I need from seed - mainly wildflowers and annuals that attract bees and butterflies.
It's a lot more work than just going in to the garden centre armed with a wad of cash and coming out with very little, but hopefully the results will be worth it.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Other stuff
My husband's motto is "If it doesn't move - creosote it". He told me he was going to creosote the wood on the outside of my raised beds before I planted them up. Fine I said. What he didn't tell me that whilst he was at the top of the garden he thought he would creosote the compost bins as well. Later on I decided to start emptying them and was leaning against the wood whilst digging my spade in. When I got indoors I thought the smell of the creosote was still very strong and couldn't understand it. It was only later when I was getting changed that I discovered the smell was coming from my jeans - they are ruined, I washed them straight away but creosote is waterproof and they still had the stain - laugh, I could cry - they are my most comfortable jeans. Grrr!
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
I have been busy being frugal in other areas too. Below is a cushion recycled from an old shirt of my husbands - cutting off the collar and sleeves, using the front of the shirt for the cushion opening and the back with a little added decoration as the front of the cushion is a good way to make use of an unwanted shirt.
It was so nice to be able to get out in the garden after so many weeks of bad weather that just seeing a line of washing drying in the sunshine gave me pleasure.
--oo0oo--From the sound of the weather forecast for the coming week things are going to get a bit nasty again so I am happy that I was able to get on with a few jobs outside that desperately needed doing - now waiting for the opportunity to get on with some seed sowing.
Happy gardening!
The crocus began to open - it seems we all like a little sun to cheer us up.
Over on my other blog A Woman of the Soil I have been talking about being frugal in the veg garden and have received many comments and tips on how other people save money when growing veg. I also practice what I preach in the Rosebank flower garden too.
A great way of filling the borders with plants without spending any money is to split the existing plants.
I know you are meant to wait till the plants have finished flowering but I wanted to take advantage of the fine weather at the beginning of the week to split the primulas that had become congested, and from just one clump I split it into four, each having a good root system and transplanted them elsewhere in the garden. I did this with several plants that needed thinning out, added some bonemeal to the planting hole and watered them in well.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
This year I won't be buying any more perennial plants - even though I seem to have lost several over the winter. Instead I will be filling out the borders growing anything I need from seed - mainly wildflowers and annuals that attract bees and butterflies.
It's a lot more work than just going in to the garden centre armed with a wad of cash and coming out with very little, but hopefully the results will be worth it.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Other stuff
My husband's motto is "If it doesn't move - creosote it". He told me he was going to creosote the wood on the outside of my raised beds before I planted them up. Fine I said. What he didn't tell me that whilst he was at the top of the garden he thought he would creosote the compost bins as well. Later on I decided to start emptying them and was leaning against the wood whilst digging my spade in. When I got indoors I thought the smell of the creosote was still very strong and couldn't understand it. It was only later when I was getting changed that I discovered the smell was coming from my jeans - they are ruined, I washed them straight away but creosote is waterproof and they still had the stain - laugh, I could cry - they are my most comfortable jeans. Grrr!
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
I have been busy being frugal in other areas too. Below is a cushion recycled from an old shirt of my husbands - cutting off the collar and sleeves, using the front of the shirt for the cushion opening and the back with a little added decoration as the front of the cushion is a good way to make use of an unwanted shirt.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
One of my birthday gifts was a basket of hyacinths which are a beautiful blue, it has taken a week but they have finally flowered.
A couple of weeks ago I opened an account with Amazon so that I could sell a lot of books that I no longer needed. The enterprise has been quite successful so far. I have sold 15 books and made an average profit on them at £5 per book. Not a huge amount, but it has helped boost the bank balance a little.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
This week I have been reading
--oo0oo--
Happy gardening!
| ladybird - basking in the sunshine |




0 Yorumlar